Of course when that phrase is used, it’s used in the context that someone is not in a very good mood or is behaving in a less than friendly way.
Stuff happens, and sometimes we are thrown through a loop. But, if we exercise some preventative measures when we first wake up, we can lessen the chance of getting into that lowsy mood.
I would like to suggest eight things you can do to supercharge your attitude in the morning and get your day started right.
1. Get a good nights sleep!
I know, it’s not that easy. We’re all so busy that we don’t have enought hours in the day. So we stay up late and get up at the last minute we possibly can.
You can get away with that for a while, but if you do it consistantly, you’ll be hard pressed to be your best, your health will deteriorate, and you’ll find it difficult to maintain a happy and positive attitude.
2. Get up early enough that you can take care of your spiritual, mental and physical well being before you head out. If you take care of those parts of your life each morning, they will take care of you all day long. If you wake up at the last minute and run out of the house, your day will be a crap shoot at best.
3. Before you even get out of bed in the morning, thank God for all you have; even if it isn’t that much. Spend a few minutes being grateful, and focus on the good things in life. Don’t start thinking about everything you need to get done that day, or how stressful your day could become.
Remember Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
4. Do some sort of exercise, even if it’s just for a few minutes. It will help stimulate your mind and body, and kick start your day off right.
5. Make some time for God. Spend time in prayer and read at least one chapter of the bible or some of your faviorite uplifing scriptures. This also a good time to read some of your affirmations.
6. Eat breakfast. So many people skip this part and to their determent. Start your day by eating some fruit, or a whole grain cereal, or even some eggs.
Whatever you do, don’t start your day with a pop tart or donute. You will get a sugar spike, then crash shortly after when you body starts dumping insulin into your bloodstreem. Then you will be hungery again very shortly.
7. Take a shower unless you did the night before, it will make you feel fresh and totally awake. Put on some clothes that makes you feel and look good, that will help put you in a great state of mind.
8. Look in the mirror give yourself a big smile and thumbs up, and assure yourself, that no matter what happens today, you and God can handle it.
I would love to hear if you have any morning rituals that work well for you.