It’s a motto, and a code of conduct they live by.
Superman’s motto was “Fighting for Truth, Justice, and the American way”. Spider-man’s motto was “With great power comes great responsibility”.
Both of those superheroes were about being honest, Courageous, and looking out for others. They rarely, if ever, put their own needs and wants ahead of someone else. They were about helping others and seeing that justice was served.
Well, I don’t know if we need a motto, but we should all have a code of conduct we live by.
Throughout history there have been people like the knights of medieval Europe, ancient Greek warriors, Warrior Poets, and Saints of God who have lived by a standard, or code of conduct, that was nonnegotiable.
These were people of character and commitment. These were people who stood for something greater than themselves. These were people who stood for an ideal that was etched in their hearts.
I would like to share with you a list of just some of the character traits and principles that many of them lived by. These are traits and principles I believe we should all live by.
- At all times, and in all places, be the champion of right and good against evil and injustice.
- Always maintain one’s principles.
- Love God with all our heart and all your powers.
- Cultivate love, faith and hope in your life.
- Love your neighbor as yourself.
- Do not boast of your own accomplishments, but tell the deeds of others before your own.
- Live one’s life so that is is worthy of respect and honor.
- Remain faithful to your pledged word.
- Exhibit self-control and self-discipline.
- Cultivate understanding and wisdom.
- Be prepared to make personal sacrifices in the service of the principles you serve.
- Cultivate nobility.
- Realize that ideals cannot be reached, but striving for them ennobles the spirit.
- Do not let anger control your actions.
- Do not let the lack of chivalry in others cause you to be unchivalrous.
- Exhibit manners.
- Be generous to everyone.
- Defend the weak and innocent.
- Never abandon a friend, ally, or noble cause.
- Be known for unwavering commitment to the people and ideals you choose to live by.
- Preserve, to the end, any enterprise once begun.
- Face up to those who challenge your spiritual principles.
- Be an example for others.
- Seek to practice all of chivalry in your daily life.
- Self is not the focal point of the Universe.
- Perform all your duties as correctly as you can, if they are not contrary to the laws of God.
There are actually many more I could have listed, but I think the above is a good sampling of the kind of code we should follow.
Some of those characteristics are not easy to live by, but being a person of character is not easy. Being a person of character requires commitment, dedication and a desire to be more than the sum total of our human nature.
Sadly, people of character are not as common as they once were, and are often accused of being backward thinkers when they speak out.
The soul of our society has fallen ill, and has become self-serving. We now idolize sports figures and movie stars, instead of holding up the men and women who have, and still do make this country great.
As a country we no longer look to God, or credit Him with the greatness of this Country. And as we turn our back on God, He has no choice but to leave us to our free will.
When we kicked God out of our schools, we stifled His influence, and allowed our Government and society to teach our children right from wrong. Talk about looking for a gas can with a lighter.
Well, there is very little we can do about our society and its woes. What we can do is choose how we live our lives and the character we exhibit. We might not be able to influence the world, but we can have an effect on our little parts of it.
Following a code of conduct will bless your life many times over, and will cause you to be a light in a dark world. We need more people of character to lead our families, schools and Country again.
So, be a superhero and let your character stand out in the crowd, and while you’re at it, why not create a motto of your own!
How about something like “To live for God and to serve our fellow man”.